Interviuri

All around I'm looking for the Light

BE INSPIRED!

PLAY NOW!

vineri, 30 iulie 2010

Liran Mooky, English Interview



Liran Mooky and His Little Pocket of Fantasy, Music


Interview with Liran Mooky, music artist
17 iulie 2010



"Casual Request" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFLWjrQwTBk) is the title of Liran's song that I’ve listened for the first time, then for a second time, followed by the third and fourth time and so on, obsessively. I’m not sure about what attracted me more to this song: his warm voice, lyrics or those wonderful sounds, or all at once; the fact is I’m listening again and again and I love the state of peace and reconciliation and the sense of self-retrieval which this song brings to me.
As Liran says in this interview, his music is born so from the need to express the struggles of his soul and both from the dreams that blossom in his mind. And all this could create a deep resonance in the listener's soul, as if a magic wand would touch exactly the sensitive point and transfigure it. To laugh, to fly, to dream and to cry are just some of the effects of understanding his music, all beyond words, into one pure fusion of souls.


You live in Haifa, Israel, but I as far as I understood, you have some roots in Romania?
I was born and I am living in Haifa, Israel, but my father was born in Romania... So, I guess you can say I have some Romanian roots, but I have never visited Romania and all the family who had been living there moved to Israel around 1954…

If you have not been to Romania, which is your impression about Romania, according to what you've heard, maybe from your friends?
Unfortunately, as I have said, I’ve never been there yet, but I heard it’s a beautiful country... with warm people... really good food, amazing landscape... I also heard that in some parts the country is pretty advanced, but in other places it’s still like maybe 50 years ago... Again, only from what I heard.

Do you have Romanian friends?
No I don’t... I think you are my first… : )

When have you discovered your passion for music and especially for guitar? When did you start singing and what led you to music?
I think I have been always really attracted to music, but always as a listener... And, a little bit more than 5 years ago, I started playing guitar as a way of escaping from my routine and some heartbreaks... and, from that moment, I have become pretty much obsessed about music and about creating music...
About 2 years ago, I felt I needed to express myself and for me there is no better way of expression than singing, writing songs and letting things go out… After a few times I tried it and I became addicted to that feeling... You can say it started as a kind of therapy.

Calling Out Your Name - Liran Mooky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0ni0qPyfY0


Except guitar, what other instruments do you play?
I try to involve and to add new instruments... I’ve recently started playing and fooling around with a synthesizer... I play some bass guitar. I have some instruments in my house and I like to add their color to the mix... like harmonica and some African drums...

You write your own music and lyrics... How do they arise? What inspires you in creating the melodic line and what is the source of inspiration for the lyrics?
Well… usually I feel a need to create something... a song, a tune, anything to get that good feeling... The inspiration can be some notes. I play while I jam with myself and some chords bring an idea to my head... It can be a line of words that I hear and I take it from here or there... I am writing the words and then I try to see how I would like to sing them... Other times, it’s about situations in my life, dreams... It’s not the same every time, but it all comes from the need to create music and the feelings that arise in that process...
Sometimes I just try to be a channel for, maybe, my subconscious... and, without stopping anything or filtering anything, I just let everything out.


Until You Came Along - Liran Mooky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0mFeljg6XE


What is the feeling you experience when you finish a song?
I love the most the feeling of recording a song for the first time. I can say it’s almost a kind of spiritual state for me and the satisfaction fulfills me for a while... It makes me the most happy.

And how do you feel when you see that your songs are listened again and again?
Of course, it’s very nice to see that people are listening to you. My dream is to inspire others in a good way...

What are the moments when any kind of inspiration lacks to you? What are the moments when you feel you can not create?
I love creating when I’m in a certain state of mind, when I can really ignore the routine of the world and I am able to look at the big picture... So, when my head is full of news... politics… But, again..., once you start playing, you start to ignore the noises in your head... and even if it’s just playing, it will surely contribute to my next song...

Every Soul You Got - Liran Mooky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRisjhou2cI


Who are the music masters that you appreciate a lot?
Oh... so many... John Frusciante, Jimi Hendrix, John Mayer, Chili Peppers, Frank Zappa, Led Zeppelin, Peter Gabriel, David Bowie, U2, Rolling Stones, John Lee Hooker, Curtis Mayfield.
And the list goes on and on…

What is the time of the day that you dedicate to music?
My routine is almost the same everyday: working, at noon, break time... when I usually play... Office till afternoon and in the evening listening to music, playing, TV... I give my weekend completely to the music, my biggest passion.

What are your other passions? What do you like to do?
I love surfing and nature... I love the sea... I live close to the beach and surfing is another great passion...
I started painting a little while ago and I discovered it affects my music in some ways... It’s similar to creating music in the sense that I never know what’s going to come out... And I let it go, without holding back anything. Even if I don’t like what’s coming out... It’s a strange feeling. As if there is someone else inside… And it’s interesting to me to see some things that I really can’t say where they came from.

Do you love to travel? Where?
I love traveling... I use to travel a lot, but still, from time to time, I stop the race and go somewhere where I can really feel free... I’ve been to Africa, to South America and to Europe... I love South America and all its variety of countries...
I usually prefer vacation in natural places, with as little concrete as possible. : )

Tell me one place where you have been and who fascinated you by its beautiful landscape.
Last time I took time off for myself, I went to Costa Rica and, as its name says, it’s a beautiful country, with amazing beaches. And I found the people extremely friendly… I’ll definitely go there again.

You live in Haifa, a port city. How would you describe this city? What do you like the most about it?
Haifa is my city; it’s a quiet city, placed on a mountain that touches the sea, with some very nice forests… And I love about Haifa that here you can find natural places just a few minutes from the house... To me, those places are really like fresh air.

In case of someone who comes for the first time to Israel, where would you recommend him to go?
Israel is pretty small but it has many things to see. From the green fields in the North up to the Dead Sea in the South, Jerusalem and the old city, Tel Aviv and its wild clubs and much more…

Between mountains and sea, what do you like the most?
I think, if I really need to choose, I would prefer to be close to the beach, to the sea... There is something about the sea that gives me proportions and balance... in hard times, that’s where I’m going and in good times, that’s where I’m going... So… the sea.

How would you define happiness?
Happiness to me means many things… Basically, it’s freedom to do what I want... to disappear inside books, music, new places, silence…

Liran Mooky - This Moment Will Go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1lfHGYASQ0


What impresses you the most when you meet someone? What qualities?
A good heart is definitely a turn on... People that see the big picture, that are involved in some kind of artistic work, that are not trying to change me, to force things on me...

What kind of person you are? How would you describe the best, in a single word, your ways of being?
I’m a dreamer... Oh yes…

What do you want to do in the near future? What are your plans - in terms of music?
For now, not many plans... My desire is to perform and to go from place to place. Singing my songs and playing them for people...
Still, I’m so grateful for discovering music in that way... Writing and playing means, for me, nothing but the biggest reward I could ask for.

Interview: Lăcrămioara Opriş
For the site amintiridincalatorie.ro
Photo: Personal archive Liran Mooky

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu